I was asked to remove the lens flair from this image as they wanted to print it fairly large.

so theres a few things to things bout when removing the flair;
  • removing the green tone
  • applying to texture where the flair has 'blown out'
  • adding realistic tones
  • blending the contrast as the flair would give very soft detail. 
I started with the image in photoshop, duplicating the layer as a way to preserve the original file i then used a hue and adjustment layer to remove the green tones.





 This has left me an area with no colour. To add colour I added a selective colour adjustment layer, this allowed me to add colour to the nuetral tones while keeping the structural detail in the whites and blacks.
The selective colour adjustment layer works with he CMYK colour principle so form the research I did for the 3 layer effect understanding the relationship between these allowed me to quickly select the right tone to blend in with the trail. To help the tones blend i applied it to areas not effected by the flair as well as the colourless patch.


Now i need to deal with the loss of detail due to the blowing out caused by the flair i used the clone stamp to add some more grass around the bike tire, I then used a combination of burning, dodging, curves and contrast adjustment layers to blend the tones below the bikes bottom bracket

I then saved the file and brought it in to Lightroom where I cleaned the images up removing some more of the green tone on the bike and adding clarity to the rock as well as some cloning. 


The process worked well, has the flair covered the bike it would have been an near impossible task to remove due to the detail be lost not being easily duplicated.

sRGB

Adobe RGB

Colour Profiles
Im very pleased with the outcome of the image it has a realistic look and tone.
I originally exported the file as Adobe RGB as that the colour profile I use, this resulted is the colours looking a little washed out, tones are slightly off and the shadows are brighter than the original. By keeping the colour profile sRGB as the image was shot I have kept the deep shadows and vibrant orange of the sunset 
original image by Andrew Meth-cohn

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a complex technique however you have explained how you do things and I think that if someone needs to remove glare this will come in very useful

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

Get In Touch

Flickr Photostream

Facebook

© 2013 Kris Bentham Photography is designed by Templateify