To help work off our festive lunches we decided to camp out on the Lion and the Lamb near Grasmere. With a late start and poor visibility (there was some light snow) we weren't going to get much of a view for the night. I decided to try get some portraits, using our touches as modelling lights. 

Shooting at ƒ2.8 1/80 and ISO 3200 I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the images, the focus is pin sharp on the eye giving super detail. 

Steves hood provided too much shadow to with butterfly lighting blocking the eyes off, by using a split lighting Iv been able to catch the detail in the eye. it dose give the image a much harsher feeling.

Later on the clouds started to part so I created some double exposures mixing the stars and portraits 
While I could have done a better job at blending the exposure, they did well to keep my mind off the cold.

We woke up fairly late, the sun was already up. The visibiliy had cleared giving a night view of the valley and what remained of the sunrise. 





















3 comments:

  1. Although I am not a huge fan of landscape photography, I think you have created some strong images with a dramatic feel. I love the creativity of using your tourches when there was minimal light. The double exposures is a nice touch to the portrait as it shows context of the environment of which your in. I did at first think it was snow... Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing images, I love landscapes and you have really captured the mood of your trip, fun but cold! Interesting techniques using torches to create different lighting techniques which you have executed well, I particularly like the split lighting which has added mystery to the atmosphere, was he annoyed or sarcastically amused? The bottom image, of man with camera is a nice contrast but could do with puling the snowy mountains back a little so that they don't blend in with the sky.
    Really nice blog by the way, page and layout really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you i was quite happy with the out come of the trip, I was hoping to wake up to more snow though.
      Ha, I don't think he realise I was intentionally adding drama to the image, it made for an excellent way to forget about the cold.
      The image of the photographer actually has a cloud sitting on the peak of the hill, I could try and draw more detail out but this would washout the highlights, and as Ansell Adams says you gotta have all the tones in there for a decent image.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

Get In Touch

Flickr Photostream

Facebook

© 2013 Kris Bentham Photography is designed by Templateify